Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Perfect Day in Yellowstone Park

You may all find this hard to believe, but I have nothing to complain about today.  Wait, wait...don't leave me.  I know you all get some kind of perverse pleasure in my suffering, but today was the best day ever in Yellowstone Park.

This is my partner in crime, Ken, from Pennsylvania.  He works at Mammoth Hot Springs in food service.

Not a career he wishes to pursue, by the way.

He said he would rather pick up bison poop if such a job existed.  I feel his pain.

It took me an hour and a half to get to Mammoth.  First there was the mandatory bison jam, then a tourist jam (a bear was chasing elks which was worthy of a tourist jam, but too far away for my camera) and then the half an hour wait in the construction zone.

Finally, we took off in Ken's trusty pick-up truck, looking for adventure and food.  We headed toward Roosevelt because the interesting wildlife lives in the northern part of the park.  That means anything other than bison, the cattle of Yellowstone Park.

Before we left Mammoth, I had to take at least one picture of a baby elk.

The elk are camped out right by the hotel.  It gives the security guys fits as tourists have been known to try to ride them.  Yipee ki yah! 

I'm still looking for that stupid tourist picture that will get me five minutes of fame.

We stopped at Tower Falls which is always impressive.


See the rainbow at the bottom?

Mother Nature was all dressed up today in her jewels. 
A big horn sheep posed for us.

That's an antelope, I swear it is. 

Lord, I need a better camera!

I could wake up to this every morning.

Not in a tent or anything like that.

What I mean is that this would look great from the porch of my summer cottage.  I would be drinking coffee, nibbling on a pastry.....

There is always a bear sighting in this area, so here you go.

Mr. black bear was just ambling down the side of a hill.


We took the northeast exit out of the park and ended up in Cooke City.

Don't you just love Buns N Beds? 

How bout them buns on the biker?




This is one end of Cooke City.

This is the other end of Cooke City.

That's all folks!

What do they do when tourist season is over?

Maybe they have snowmobile races down the center of town.

Maybe they stone the town witch.

Maybe they just get stoned.
This isn't really a waterfall...just snow melting and running down the side of a mountain.

And look!  There are flowers blooming.

More long horn sheep right outside Mammoth.

So that was my day in Yellowstone Park and it was glorious and sunny and relaxing and fun.

Don't you wish you were me?

Come on...be jealous. 

Humor me.

As Groucho Marx said, "Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana." 

It doesn't have to be appropriate. 

4 comments:

Chad said...

It must have kicked me out while I was making a comment so I'll just do it again. Thanks for visiting my blog and its nice to hear you had a nice day.Looks like you saw plenty of wildlife,while there Scott and I saw only bison and elk. My family and I may make another trip up to Yellowstone this fall.

D. Jean Quarles said...

I'm jealous. You saw it all today, Elk, sheep and bear. Lucky you. And Cooke City looks marvelous. Yes, I miss it, right this moment, mainly because there is no snow on the ground.

Adele said...

You were right on two counts. They do race snowmobiles down the center of town but they don't stone the town witch. ;-}
Nice to see those pics without rain!

darlin said...

I had to do a closer inspection of the bikers buns and yup, they are nice!

The baby Elk is so adorable, it's amazing that you can get this close to them without mama freaking out.

The falls and the rainbow, that would have made my day and my camera would have been super busy, I'd have to get a neon light flashing over my head that screamed tourist just encase anyone didn't get it from the non-stop photos. The funny thing is all it would take is one wee Canadian flag anywhere on my clothing, that always seems to make us Canadians stand out. How in the heck do people spot that wee little pin? That's what has me baffled but hey, whatever works! Ooops digressing again!

Your day sounds very eventful, almost no mention of buffalo poo and even flowers, you just might want to stay after all! LOL

Enjoy your day tomorrow Judy, goodnight from Canada!

Post a Comment

Talk to me!

 
Copyright 2009 yellowstonedreaming. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator