Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Lightning Strikes in Yellowstone Park


Yellowstone Park threw in some new weather today.  I had forgotten about hail, but Mother Nature didn't. 

O.K., the hail wasn't this big.

It did pile up, though, in a very short period of time.

The lights dimmed briefly at the Old Faithful Inn, where I was bored out of my mind cheerfully waiting on customers.

We heard later that a guest was walking around the Old Faithful geyser basin and was struck by lightning.  Several people around him felt the effects also. 

There were ambulances and a care flight and I missed it all.

You know that I'm afraid of bears.  Now I'm afraid of lightning.  Worse case scenario...I'm being chased by a bear when a storm blows in and lightning is all around me.  Unless the bear is standing up, ready to attack, and the lightning gets him first, I'm seeing a double calamity.  Death by bear and electrocution. 

Other than the weather drama, it was just another working day at Old Faithful.  I worked the 9:30 to 6:00 shift today. 

You might be thinking that this is really a wonderful job, and I just don't know when I have it off well.  "Off well" is a phrase hubby used one night when he was half asleep and thought he was being profound.  He meant to huffily retort that I didn't know when I had it so well off, and he came out with "off well," and I guess you had to be there.

Let me show you just a small slice of my day.  I get my 35 minute lunch break and stand the rest of the shift.  I have ankles the size of watermelons now.  Here's my trip to lunch.

This is a horrible picture, but somehow reflects the cheer of the Old Faithful Inn.

I walk down this dark dreary hall, where there are guest rooms, by the way.  They should have braille numbers on the doors cause you sure can't see your hand in front of your face.

Or the mice.

Then, I gingerly walk down these steps.

They are much darker than this.




You can see the bottom of the steps in the background.

I walk through some kind of housekeeping area or secret torture chamber rented by the CIA.

I walk out the door to this.

Guest rooms look out on this also.

What charm, what ambiance...what a pile of mud!

I tiptoe through the mud puddles to the entrance of the employee dining room.

Charming so far?


It always looks better in my pictures, but the dining room is trashed.

The really elegant part is the dish area where everyone stacks their trays and dumps their food scraps.

You should thank me that I didn't take any close ups.

Just imagine all of the leftover food dumped into one trash can. 

This is part of the Yellowstone Park weight loss program.  Go in there first before you eat, gag, and run for fresh air.

Just wanted to share in case you were jealous.

It's 8:30 p.m. now, I'm in my cell dorm, roomy is snoring and snorting away, and I have to work at 6:15 in the morning.  What's not to love about this? 

I'm thinking a lot about the movie, "The Shawshank Redemption."  If I start digging a hole now in the wall of my dorm, I could possible escape in a month or two.  Oh that's right!  Hubby is coming to take me away!

Until tomorrow, Judy reporting from Yellowstone Park.

4 comments:

greentangle said...

I can't believe you didn't get any photos of the tourist being hit by lightning! I don't think we had any hail or lightning here today but someone did tell me not to hike alone because the elk are having young and the predators will be coming for them. All the elk I see are too busy lying on the grass to have young.

Scott Law said...

I figured it out. You're trying to keep people from coming and taking your job next year, cuz you want it back. You are having so much fun you can hardly keep from wetting yourself, but you don't want everybody to know. After all my years in the Army I've got to say that mess hall looks pretty darn good. Well I won't tell anybody. I'll play along and say things like "I'm so sorry your not having more fun or getting more sleep and better chow." There, how was that? Thanks for keeping me in stitches and I can't wait to get to Yellowstone again in September.

darlin said...

Quite the dining experience, that's unreal! I sure would be on the Old Faithful diet, maybe that's what I need to shed those dreaded last ten pounds! Then again, no darn way... I'll keep the ten pounds and the little sanity I have left in tact. It's hard to fathom any company, never mind that it's in the hospitality industry, treating their staff this way. No wonder you can't wait to get the heck out of there.

I'd be in shock if I came there as a tourist and the view from my room was a mud pit, my goodness that is deplorable.

Well hope you can hang in there, make the best of what you are doing and thanks for the sharing... now where's my bucket list, I now have something to cross off of it!

Judy said...

You figured it out Scott. I want this place for myself. I've been told it is much better than the military, but I don't care. Great place to visit...wouldn't want to work there.

Darlin...visit the park. Just be careful when you go and where you stay. Beautiful place and glad I got to spend time here.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!

 
Copyright 2009 yellowstonedreaming. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator