Friday, March 12, 2010

A Little More About the Who of Yellowstone Dreaming

If you are going to follow me on this Yellowstone journey, you should know a little more about the cast of characters. First of all, there is me, the "reluctant" social worker. I'm not sure what possessed me to get a Masters in Social Work back in 1981, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Just close your eyes for a moment. Visualize a social worker. Do you see the centerfold for the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated or a grim faced old woman with sensible shoes? I do wear sensible shoes, but you see what I'm getting at. It isn't a sexy profession. And if I had a nickle for every time someone asked me, "So what does a social worker do?" I'd be, well...a social worker in expensive sensible shoes.

My resume in a nutshell is as follows: 18 years experience as a Hospice social worker, 2 years as a social worker in dialysis clinics, a brief job at a cancer center, and most recently, a nursing home social worker. As you can see, I know how to have a good time. Seriously, I learned a lot about compassion, the goodness of people, and most importantly, everyone has a story that is worth telling. Oh yes, in my spare time, my husband and I have a medical uniform business. There will be some unashamed advertising. Check out my favorite links for our website, scrubsdirect.com and Caesar Creek Markets where we have a store. It hasn't been dull, but it is time for a CHANGE. Sorry to use capital letters, but I want you to know that this is all about mixing it up.

I'm ready to move on. It's time to take my sensible shoes on the road to Yellowstone. They look better with jeans anyway. I even look forward to cleaning rooms just to have the satisfaction of completing mindless tasks. I look forward to spending time in the fresh air, to meeting people I don't have to place in a nursing home, to clearing out a corner of my brain that is clogged with social work tasks and finally, to just have a rip roaring good time.

Tomorrow, I will introduce you to my boys and the girlfriend. I am going to get in so much trouble, but what the heck. I've been embarrassing them for many years, and they still stick around. There may be pictures soon too. I've asked them to send me some of the ones they took last year, just to keep you interested. Until then...all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!

 
Copyright 2009 yellowstonedreaming. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator